We produce a variety of washable, biodegradable, 100% cotton, cloth pads. Our product range currently includes daytime and nighttime pads, panty liners, and liner holders. We have developed two Pad Kits to meet your needs during your cycle – the Deluxe Pad Kit and the Trial Pad Kit.
For every Deluxe Pad Kit purchased, PadMad donates one of our pads to a girl in need. This is in an effort to keep as many girls in school and away from transactional sex.
• We use 100% natural cotton material which is breathable and friendly to the skin.
• The cotton we use is much easier to clean and reuse hygienically.
• PadMad pads last at least TWO years.
• Distribution of long-lasting reusable pads hugely saves logistic resources and bridges delivery gaps within the distribution chain therefore decreasing overall long-term costs.
• Alternatives e.g. 12 month life cycle reusable pads made of synthetic fleece and Polyurethane Laminate( PUL) are essentially not biodegradable and cause irritations and skin rashes in private parts especially if used in hot climates like Kenya. Using natural cotton PadMad pads with eco-friendly dye reduce cramps and cause less heat rashes and skin irritations.
• Our design of aesthetic looking pads with colorful Kenyan designs ensure regular usage.
• The two sizes (large and regular) and thickness of pads (to avoid leaks), reversible design with wings ensures confidence of use within the beneficiaries.
• We include a reusable bag for carrying soiled pads making it possible for the girl to change her pads in school and therefore stay in class.
• These pads are made in Kenya using Kenyan raw material and are therefore supporting many livelihoods in marginalized areas. This leads to reduction in imports of menstrual products due to local manufacturing.
• PadMadembraces: “Buy Kenya, Build Kenya” and “By Women, For Women”.
• They are more cost effective than disposable pads in the long run.
• We provide essential education regarding Menstrual Health Management (MHM) and Sexual Reproductive Health Rights (SRHR), good hygiene, and significance of negative impact on environment when using disposable alternatives.
How to use pads
Click the link to watch a short video on how to care for your pads.
Want to get involved and stay updated on what our initiative is up to? You are welcome to sign up to our email list and we will be delighted to stay connected!
Who makes the pads
Our all female production team is trained to stitch our high quality, absorbent and reusable pads. Most of these women come from underprivileged and marginalised backgrounds. The PadMad initiative empowers these women by creating an opportunity for them to develop some skills and earn a living. Our team works to ensure that high quality pads are delivered to you
Access to Menstrual Products in School.
Documentary by Madhvi Dalal.
Documentary for PadMad highlighting the lack of affordability and accessibility to sanitary pads leading to girls missing school and going in to transactional sex for pads.
The reusable pads you gave me have done a great change in my life. For instance, I can say that it has saved my parents cost of buying the disposable pads. They have also made me comfortable as now I can concentrate most on my studies than always thinking how I will manage to buy the pads.
From us Kanaani girls we say thanks because you helped us from skin rashes and other problems. Thanks for also helping us to know how to make them. Thank you and come back again.
Mmm! How happy I am. Your pads have helped me so much. The pads prevent me from infection. They only pads that I will be using for all my life!
Madhvi in conversation with Sharon Mundia on NTV Living with Ess
Join Madhvi in conversation with Sharon Mundia featuring This is Ess: on NTV at 9-10am EAT on Thursday 6th Feb
You can get in touch with us for information on any of our activities or blog posts. We would be happy to hear from you!